As of 2001 India census, Courtallam had a population of 2368. Males constitute 41% of the population and females 59%. Courtallam has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78% and, female literacy is 74%. 7% of the population is under 6 years of age. Although very close to the Kerala border, the entire population of Courtallam is homogeneously Tamil.
Nestled in the Western Ghats, Courtallam has scenic surroundings. The hillocks which dominate the scenery disappear into the blue mist of Agasthiarmalai, the mountain bearing the name of a sage who made immense contributions to Tamil literature and is believed to have lived in the area. The closest towns to Courtallam are Sengottai and Tenkasi at 5 km (3.1 mi) respectively. The closest airport is Tuticorin Airport (TCR) approximately 90 km (56 mi) away and the nearest railway station is Tenkasi, 5 km (3.1 mi) away.
Places to visit
- Therkumalai Estate can be reached from Honey falls in 1 hour, which is roughly at 2000 ft altitude.
- Boat Houses near the Five Falls and Old Courtallam Falls.
- Snake Park nears to the Main Falls.
- Aquarium near the Main Falls.
- Children’s Park.
Nearby Tourist Interests
Tenkasi is a town located in the foothills of the Western Ghats near the Courtallam Waterfalls, close to the Tamil Nadu – Kerala border in Tirunelveli District. Tourists prefer staying in either courtallam or Tenkasi and the close proximity allows tourists to frequently travel between the two. The Palaruvi Falls is across the state border in Kerala.
- Thirukutraalanaadhar Kovil in Main falls. During the Thamizh month of Chithirai a ten-day festival is arranged which ends in a special prayer on Pournami (Full Moon Day).
- Thirumalai Kovil in Panpoli, 8 km from Courtallam.
- Kumaran Kovil in Ilanji, 3 km from Courtallam.
- Kasivishuwanathar Kovil in Tenkasi, 6 km East from Courtallam.
- Dhakshinamoorthy Kovil in Puliyarai, 12 km West from Courtallam.
- Papanasam Ulagaambihai & Sivan Kovil in Papanasam, 35 km Southeast from Courtallam.
- Ariyankavu Iyappan Kovil in Kerala, 35 km Northwest from Courtallam.